Here’s my take on Indonesian fried rice. A hot and spicy meat-free meal with crispy onions, finished off with a fried egg.You’ll notice in the directions that I boil and cool the rice before frying it. This is the best way to get the perfect texture to your rice, whilst also ensuring it’s dry enough to absorb plenty of flavour (see my special fried rice master class for further info and tips on making the best fried rice at home).
One egg is also scrambled into the rice:
- 500 ml water
- 300 g long grain rice not easy cook rice
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cornflour/cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 red chilli chopped finely
- Bring the water to a boil and pour in the rice (no need to rinse). Give it a stir so that the rice is covered by the water, put a lid on the pan and cook for 20 minutes on the lowest heat on your smallest burner.
- After 20 minutes, take the lid off and spread out the rice onto a tray. Leave to cool, uncovered for 20-30 minutes (until room temperature), then cover with clingfilm/plastic wrap and place in the fridge until you're ready to use (make sure you use the rice within 24 hours).
Full Recipe Indonesian Fried Rice @kitchensanctuary