WHAT KIND OF MUSHROOMS SHOULD I USE?
I used Baby Bella mushrooms for this Creamy Garlic Mushroom Soup because they’re still on the inexpensive side compared to most mushrooms, but they give more flavor and color than a white button mushroom. Thankfully these baby portobella mushrooms are becoming really popular and I’ve seen them at several grocery store chains.
For the broth I used vegetable flavored Better Than Bouillon to make the broth used in this soup, but you could certainly use their mushroom flavor if you have it. Their vegetable broth does have a rather distinct flavor, though, so I used half broth and half water to prevent overpowering the mushroom flavor. I find that Better than Bouillon broths tend to be quite strong in flavor, so if you’re using a different brand you may want to increase your broth to water ratio.
- 1 lb. baby bella mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Wash the mushrooms to remove any dirt or debris. Slice half of the mushrooms and roughly chop the other half.
- Add the olive oil, mushrooms, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a soup pot. Sauté the mushrooms over medium heat until they have released all of their moisture, all the liquid has evaporated from the bottom of the pot, and the mushrooms become very dark brown.
- Add the butter and flour to the pot. Stir and cook for about two minutes more. The flour and butter will form a thick paste and coat the mushrooms and the bottom of the pot. It's okay for the flour to coat the pot and.....
Full Recipe CREAMY GARLIC MUSHROOM SOUP @budgetbytes